Friday, June 14, 2013

handprint flower pots

Last year we made cute flower pots with kids hand-prints for Ali's preschool teachers. Since I am a preschool teacher and decorate our house as such,  I made a couple extra pots with just Ali & Grey's hand-prints for use around the house.


Materials Needed:
Large plastic pots
Acrylic paint
Clear sealant spray
Paint pens

I used plastic pots since they were less likely to shatter if they fell on the floor, and because they were already the colors that I wanted. Since both kids have sensory issues, painting their hands was a challenge. I spread the painting out over a week and tried to use mixing colors to my advantage. For example, I might start with yellow paint on one hand and red on the other, getting a hand-print with each; then have them rub their hands together to make orange. Most of Grey's hand-prints came out smudgy, which looked rather cute.

After all of the hand-prints were complete I used paint pens to write the kids names and the date on the pots. A quick round of spray sealant and the pots were ready to use. I have used one pot for plants, and the other as storage for loose items. This (relatively) quick & easy project still makes me smile everyday. I plan on making more projects with their hand-prints this summer. It is so easy to forget how little they once were, and I love these sweet & tiny reminders.


No comments:

Post a Comment