Tuesday, June 4, 2013

broken pots birdbath

What do you do when you accidentally break some of your Terra-cotta pots? Make them into a stacked pot birdbath!


Materials Needed:
Several Terra-cotta pots
Terra-cotta bowl
Terra-cotta dish 
Garden stake 
Spray Primer & Paint
Permanent adhesive


A few of my pots became stuck together and out of frustration I dropped them on the ground. Of course, they broke. Wanting to make lemonade out of my lemons, I primed the pieces and sprayed them different colors. After they dried I glued the pieces back together using Quick Grip all-purpose permanent adhesive. This glue does dry quickly and becomes clear, but had a lot of air bubbles that I had to smooth out. I liked that the glue is water- and weather-proof, as the project will stay outdoors year-round. After the glue dried I traced the cracks with a silver paint pen. Why not accentuate what makes these pots unique, right?

I found a few more pots of varying sizes which were already painted, and then prepped a terra cotta bowl and a small dish. I pounded a five foot garden stake about 18 inches into the ground and stacked the first three pots upside down. I glued on the last pot upright to give it extra support. Then I glued on the large bowl to be filled with water, and the small dish for bird food. The kids were excited to see the finished product and we are hoping for lots of cute little birdie visitors.



No comments:

Post a Comment